What is a Hospice Volunteer?
They are people just like you! Hospice volunteers come from all walks of life, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, sexual orientation, and professional backgrounds. Volunteers unselfishly give of their time and talent to help other people help themselves. A volunteer is someone who believes that people can make a difference and is willing to demonstrate it.
You can make an important difference as a volunteer with a hospice or related organization somewhere in your own area. To learn more, review the information on this page and then click on the link at the bottom of the page to submit a volunteer application. We will place you in contact with one or more agencies in your local area who value support from persons with your particular skills or interests.
Thanks to the Rogers OMNI Media Fund, HPCO in partnership with Alliance Hospice produced a volunteer recruitment video in seven languages. To view the video, select your language choice below. The English and French videos are voiced with text and the Chinese, Punjabi, Spanish, and Tagalog are text based videos.
Hospices need a variety of volunteer including:
- In-Home Visiting Volunteers to support people with life-limiting illness and their families
- Bereavement Volunteers to support people coping with the loss of a loved one
- Administration Volunteers to help in the hospice office
- Event Volunteers to help plan and deliver special events including fundraising events
- Complementary Therapy Volunteers to provide their therapies to hospice clients
Is Training Required or Provided?
All volunteers are provided training to varying degrees. Volunteers that work directly with clients must complete a minimum 30 hour hospice volunteer training program and pass police background checks before being matched with a client.
Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering in hospice is very rewarding. You get to meet many different types of people and form solid relationships based on mutual respect, understanding, and caring. As a hospice volunteer you will:
▪ Make a difference in people’s lives
▪ Develop a wide network
▪ Develop a range of skills and experience that can be used in everyday life
▪ Receive ongoing education and development
▪ Do your part in bringing about social change
To express your interest in becoming a hospice volunteer, please fill out our online application.
For more information, please call 416-304-1477 or 1-800-349-3111 and dial extension 28 or email firstname.lastname@example.org