The Ontario Caregiver Organization (OCO) exists to support Ontario’s 3.3 million caregivers; ordinary people who provide physical and/or emotional support to a family member, partner, friend or neighbour. The OCO will enhance the caregiving experience by providing one point of access to information, services and supports that empower and enable caregivers to be successful in their role. Where gaps exist in caregiver programs and services, the OCO partners with caregivers, health care providers and other organizations to find new and innovative ways to bridge those gaps so all caregivers, regardless of age, disease or geographical location have access to the help they need. Established in 2018, the OCO is a not-for-profit entity funded by the Government of Ontario. The OCO is offering to support caregivers during the COVID-19 situation. Please visit the COVID-19 page of their website for up-to-date caregiver information and resources, including:
- Tips for Caregiver Mental Health during COVID-19
- How Technology Can Support Caregivers during COVID-19
- Communication developed in partnership with the Ontario Hospital Association
- Connecting Socially While Keeping Your Distance
- Caregiver Contingency Plan
- Caregiver Starter Kit
- What Caregivers Want Healthcare Providers and Hospital Staff to Know
- Caring for Seniors in Your Community
OCO is also offering the following programs:
- Virtual Caregiver Cafes/Peer Support Groups – Offered four times each week. Facilitated by an OCO staff member, discussion will be driven by caregivers to focus on issues of highest importance to them.
- SCALE Program (Support for Caregiver Awareness, Learning and Empowerment) – Including webinars and free 1-1 counselling sessions.
- Young Caregiver Online Support Group – Every Wednesday evening at 7:30pm for caregivers between
the ages of 15-25.
The Ontario Caregiver Helpline continues to provide 24/7 support to caregivers, including connection and referrals to information, supports and services. If there are changes to your direct caregiver programs and services during this time, please use this link to ensure that the Helpline database has current information.