Save the Date for #hpco2017! Call for Abstracts opens August 15, 2016
HPCO’s Annual Conference will be held Sunday, April 23, 2017 to Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at The Sheraton Parkway Toronto North Hotel & Convention Centre in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Plan to attend – mark it in your calendar today!
#hpco2016 SOLD OUT for the second year in a row!
Putting the Pieces Together – Collaborating for Quality Hospice Palliative Care in Ontario
Sunday, April 17 to Tuesday, April 19, 2016 in Richmond Hill, ON
Hospice Palliative Care Ontario would like to thank all those who attended #hpco2016 from Sunday, April 17 to Tuesday, April 19, 2016 in Richmond Hill, Ontario. The annual conference, welcomed repeat delegates as well as dozens of new delegates and proved to be a content-rich and inspiring educational program.
Overview – Putting the Pieces Together – Collaborating for Quality Hospice Palliative Care in Ontario, Hospice Palliative Care Ontario’s 2016 Conference:
- Conference Program includes detailed descriptions for 55 concurrent workshops.
- Program at a Glance provides an overview of presentations, including workshops in the research/clinical; psychosocial and volunteer streams
- Oral papers 30 papers were presented
- Poster presentations 30 poster presentations were on display for the duration of the conference.
MAINPRO Credits Confirmed
This program has been accredited by The College of Family Physicians of Canada and The Ontario chapter for up to 12.75 Mainpro-M1 credits.
Conference Program Highlights – Speakers & Presentations
HPCO’s Annual Conference, Putting the Pieces Together – Collaborating for Quality Hospice Palliative Care in Ontario gathered renowned industry experts and leaders who shared cutting-edge, evidence-based research, hospice palliative care innovations and expertise with like-minded system planners, researchers, policy makers and multidisciplinary, front-line practitioners from across the health care spectrum.
The inspiring program presentations included thoughtful keynote presentations, a return of the popular HIT (Health. Innovation. Technology.) Talks and The Carmelita Lawlor Lectureship.
Supporters & Exhibitors
Supporters and Exhibitors are a piece of the puzzle! With special thanks, HPCO would like to acknowledge the conference’s Exhibitors and Supporters, without whose support, the annual educational program for Ontario’s hospice palliative care sector would not be possible. Visit the Supporters and Exhibitors page to learn more.
NEW! Physicians ONLY Pre-Conference Workshop
Saturday, April 16, 2016
Are You Ready? Developing Your Group’s Process and Response to Requests for Physician Assisted Death.
The conference feature, offered as a special workshop for physicians was well-attended and offered food for thought as physicians prepare to face the possibility of requests for medically assisted death.
Hospice Palliative Care Ontario was pleased to have the opportunity to collaborate with Ontario physicians to offer the half-day workshop, designed to support clinical community to develop a process for responding to Physician Assisted Death (PAD) requests.
- How do we, as a community, come together to make decisions around this issue?
- What are others doing to respond to requests for PAD?
- How do we have these conversations with patients and with one another?
MAINPRO Credits Confirmed – This program has been accredited by The College of Family Physicians of Canada and The Ontario chapter for up to 3.25 Mainpro-M1 credits.
The workshop fostered the dialogue necessary to maintain cohesion within groups as they develop a process for responding to PAD requests. Starting with an overview of the topic by physician leaders, participants had an opportunity to discuss issues and challenges in a small group setting. Read the workshop description The informative workshop, designed for all physicians, regardless of their specialty.
NEW! The Inaugural Provincial Symposium on Paediatric Palliative Care
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at The Hospital for Sick Children
Hospice Palliative Care Ontario (HPCO) & The Hospital for Sick Children’s, SickKids Paediatric Advanced Care Team (PACT) partnered to present The Inaugural Provincial Symposium on Paediatric Palliative Care.
- The Case Against Neonatal Euthanasia – Babies, Brains and Badly Fitting Cuffs: Infant Interest and The Value of Life presented by Dr. Richard Hain, Wales, UK;
- The Case For Neonatal Euthanasia – Killing or Caring? End-of-Life Decisions and Neonatal Euthansia in The Netherlands presented by Dr. Eduard Verhagen, Groningen, Netherlands (via videoconference).
- Panel Discussion with both presenters. The symposium also offers oral paper and poster presentations and two breakout sessions:
- Supporting Grieving Families Before and After Death – Telling The Story
- Fostering Relationships Between Tertiary and Community Care Providers to Optimize Patient Care
The fee for this full-day symposium is $100 per person. (HPCO Conference delegates receive a reduced registration rate of $50.) For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (416) 813-6905.
Program Advisory Committee
The Program Advisory Committee led by its co-chairs, develop the annual conference program based on delegate feedback and the expertise of a volunteer abstract review team comprised of HPCO members, representing multiple disciplines from communities across the province. …read more